It’s no contest: The dishwasher is the underrated MVP of the kitchen. Whether you’re an order-in connoisseur or a self-proclaimed Master Chef, these small-but-mighty appliances save you not only time but effort and water-bill costs in the process.
To streamline the post-dinner cleanup in your kitchen for years to come, look no further than our catalog to reap the benefits of premium and luxury dishwasher features. Read on to discover the best new dishwasher features the industry has to offer—including those supplied by our top-rated dishwasher brands Amana, Electrolux, LG, and Whirlpool.
Top Dishwasher Features By Brand
Before we unveil our favorite dishwasher features, let’s take a look at what our best-selling dishwasher brands offer across price points and models:
Best Amana Dishwasher Features
Boasting endless utility, Amana dishwashers save you time by letting your dishwasher make all the decisions. Here are some of the brand’s top-rated features:
- SoilSense Cycle – This cycle auto-senses the size and soil level of every load to help deliver optimal cleaning results.
- Triple Filter Wash System – Skip the pre-rinse with three filters that remove even the tiniest food particles from the wash water for clean dishes.
- 1-Hour Cycle – Rapidly clean lightly soiled items so you don’t have to eat cereal from a dirty bowl.
Pictured: Amana® 24" Stainless Steel Built In Dishwasher (ADB1400AGS)
Best Electrolux Dishwasher Features
A leading global appliance company that has shaped living for the better for over a century, Electrolux has reinvented taste and level of care for millions of households. Electrolux dishwashers are no exception:
- LuxCare® Wash Arm – This wash arm uses water more effectively to tackle even the toughest dishes without wasting valuable resources.
- Target Wash Zones – This all-encompassing feature completely cleans dishes of all shapes and sizes like water bottles, casserole dishes, wine glasses, and more.
- Convenient LED Floor Beam Indicators – A blue light illuminates the floor when your dishes are washing and a green light when they are clean.
Pictured: Electrolux 24" Stainless Steel Built In Dishwasher (EDSH4944AS)
Best LG Dishwasher Features
Think doing the dishes is a chore? Think again. The brains behind LG know that a beautiful table starts with sparkling dishes, and you can set the table with virtually spotless dishes and glassware, thanks to LG dishwashers:
- QuadWash™ – Four multi-motion spray arms power-clean dishes from multiple angles to get every load clean the first time.
- TrueSteam® Technology – The power of steam penetrates food residue and minimizes water spots during the drying cycle by up to 60 percent.
- ThinQ® Technology – The ThinQ® app sends you a notification when your dishes are clean and even works with Alexa and Google Assistant.
Pictured: LG 24" Stainless Steel Built In Dishwasher (LDT7808SS)
Best Whirlpool Dishwasher Features
True to its broad “great-value” appeal, the Whirlpool brand allows you to reap the benefits of premium dishwasher features, from advanced cleaning power to increased loading flexibility. Here are some other ways Whirlpool dishwashers help tackle the dirty work:
- Sensor Cycle – Automatically get the right wash and dry settings for each load with two sensors that measure temperature and soil level during the pre-wash and main wash cycles.
- Quick Wash Cycle – This cycle allows you to clean dishes fast with a cycle that thoroughly takes care of plates, pans and glasses when you need them done in a hurry.
- 1–24 Hour Delay Start – You can delay the start of the cycle up to 24 hours to make sure dishes are clean and dry when you need them.
Pictured: Whirlpool® 24" Built-In Dishwasher - Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel (WDT730PAHZ)
5 Best Dishwasher Features of 2021
Now, as promised, here are some of the best dishwasher features 2021 has to offer across mass-premium and luxury models:
1. Sanitize Option
What good is a dishwasher if it doesn’t eliminate food bacteria from your dishes? Sanitation in dishwashers is more important than ever, so now, many mass-premium brands (and a few entry-level ones) offer a sanitize option that runs higher-temperature water (at least 150 degrees) and longer wash times to get rid of food-soil bacteria. Typically, this feature turns up the heat during the main wash cycle, finishing off with an even hotter rinse.
NOTE: Don’t forget to read the care instructions for the dish items you’d like to run under higher-temperature water.
2. Wine Stem Holders
If you love wine, one purchasing factor you might consider is whether your new dishwasher has wine stem holders that will accommodate your go-to drinkware—from your pinot noir glasses to your champagne flutes. While washing them by hand ensures your beloved wine glasses don’t break, leaving the work to your dishwasher saves time, uses a lot less water, and leads to proper sanitization.
In certain newer dishwashers, stemware holders are fold-down pieces of plastic on the top rack that are designed to keep wine glasses in place so that they don’t break during the wash cycle. Wine stem holders can also be used to create extra space for small items that may rattle and subsequently break—like espresso cups, ramekins, and water bottle lids.
3. Specialized Jets
If you’ve ever agonized over needing to handwash items after the drying cycle, then you might be happy to know that many dishwashers offer additional or extra-powerful wash arms that are designed to target hard-to-reach areas, including the inside of bottles and the corners of your dishwasher.
Ultimately, regardless of the brand (and the patented technology it advertises for this feature), these dedicated jets concentrate pressurized water for a more thorough clean.
4. 3rd Rack
What once was a luxury feature in high-end dishwashers can now grant you the space to clean even more dishes. In recent years, many premium and mass-premium dishwasher brands have offered an extra top rack so you can get more dishes done in fewer loads.
A dishwasher with a 3rd rack also gives you the freedom to easily accommodate long items, like soup ladles, spatulas, and grill tongs. Not only that but select models give you the option to relinquish those bulky silverware baskets, as some dishwashers are stocked with a cutlery tray for this top compartment.
5. Automatic Door Opening
On select premium dishwashers, the door automatically opens slightly at the end of a cycle to help moisture escape and circulate air, thereby improving drying performance without the need for a vent, fan, or heating elements.
This dishwasher feature is particularly handy if you run the dishwasher right before going to bed or before you leave the house in the mornings.
Let Us Help You
Browse our Appliances catalog to check out the best dishwasher features our catalog has to offer. If you have any questions related to our name-brand products, don’t hesitate to call us at 1-414-476-1574 or visit our Colder's experts at any of our four Southeastern Wisconsin locations. More accessible than ever, we can also be reached via chat!