We understand making conversation at the table is not always easy, especially with iPhones and Netflix interrupting quality time! We are here to help! Whether you’re spending dinner with your family, roommates, significant other, friends or other loved ones, these tips for conversation are bound to get you talking and enjoying your dinner conversations this summer and beyond.
1. What’s something that made you laugh this week? Everyone will have a silly moment to share -- these stories create an opportunity to give those at the dinner table a good laugh.
2. What’s one thing you couldn’t go one year without? This is an open ended question that can be answered in a variety of ways.
3. If you were to open your own business, what would it be? This question allows for individuals to be creative and share ideas.
4. There are many conversation games available. Try this Icebreaker Deck game to get started. Questions for everyone!
5. Two Truths and One Lie -- this is a fun game when you’re just getting to know someone. Each person will go around and share two truths and one lie, not revealing which is which. Other people at the table will guess the true and false statements.
6. Designate a “talking item” (this could be anything) to pass around the table -- whoever is holding the talking item shares a story before dinner ends. These stories can be real or make believe!
7. Have each person at the dinner table bring something to the table to discuss. This can be anything -- art they created, a magazine they picked up at the store, or a new favorite song. Conversation can revolve around each person’s chosen item.
8. Have a themed dinner, for example baseball. Everyone can dress up wearing their favorite team’s apparel. Dinner could consist of hot dogs, nachos, peanuts and cracker jacks! Make it extra fun and create a baseball playlist and add baseball decor.
9. If you’re with a bigger group, starting a game of Telephone is fun and entertaining!
10. Celebrating a birthday dinner? Have each person at the table share one reason why the birthday person is special to them! (Great for families)
Take a little break from social media and TV and test these conversation starters at your dinner table to spark meaningful conversation.
Looking for more ideas? Try Chat Pack! They have a variety of options from chats for two people to decks for kids. Share which dinner conversation starters you tried with the hashtag #MyColders. Have fun!